The Rules / ルール
1. There are 6 players on each team. The field should be 50m x 70m.
2. The attacking team must start with a tap from the middle of the field. The defending team must be back 10m for the start of play and after each score.
3. The attacking team continues play until they have had 6 touches. A touch can be on any part of the attacker’s body or the ball itself. Only 1 hand is required to make the touch. After being touched 6 times the ball is handed over to the other side.
4. After being touched, the player touched must put the ball on the ground and step over the ball. The Dummy Half who waits behind them, then picks the ball up and usually passes it (This is called ROLL BALL, but in reality the ball should NOT be rolled, rather it should be placed on the ground and stepped over).
5. After touching the attacking player with the ball, all defending team members must retreat back 5m. When the defending players have not retreated 5m and they touch an attacking player, this is a PENALTY.
6. The person who takes the role of dummy half can cross the score-line but not score. NOTE: Dummy Half is the person who stands behind his/her team-mate to pick up the ball after his/her team mate has been touched. The dummy half picks the ball up after the other player has performed a roll-ball.
7. If the dummy half is touched by a defender while possessing the ball, the defending team gets the ball. ROLL BALL (NOT a penalty).
8. If a player drops the ball to the ground or misses a pass, the defending team gets the ball. ROLL BALL.
9. A PENALTY is given for the following:
- Offside: When the defending players have not retreated 5m and they touch an attacking player
- Forward Pass: When the ball is passed in front of the player who possessed the ball.
- Touch and Pass: When the person who is touched then passes the ball.
- When the player who was touched performs the roll ball past the point where they were touched (i.e runs past the touch point and fails to come back to where they were touched).
- If a touch is considered to be too strong/aggressive
- Voluntary Rolled Ball or No Touch: When the player is not touched and performs a roll ball.
10. When someone is penalized their team must then retreat 10m. The ball is tapped and the player can run forward without using a dummy half.
Loss of Possession
A change of possession and a rollball restart shall occur when:
- The ball is dropped to ground.
- The Dummy Half is touched while in possession.
- The sixth Touch occurs.
- The Dummy Half places the ball on or over the scoreline.
- A rollball is performed incorrectly.
- A tap is performed incorrectly.
- The player in possession steps on or over the boundary of the field of play.
When a player/team is penalised, the non-offending team shall restart play with a tap. The tap is taken at the mark and the defending team must retire 10 metres from the mark until the ball has been tapped. Play restarts with a tap when the following infringements occur;
- Forward Pass.
- Touch and Pass.
- Performing a rollball prior to a touch being made.
- Performing a rollball off the mark.
- Using more than the minimum force to effect a touch.
- Claiming a touch when the touch was not effected.
- Defenders offside at the rollball (5 metres).
- Defenders offside at the Tap (10 metres).
- Incorrect substitution
- Falsely claiming a touch
- Playing more than the allowable number of players
- Deliberately delaying play
The player who is to take the tap is required to wait until the referee indicates the location of the mark before the tap can be taken. However a player may take a quick tap providing the referee acknowledges such a request and providing the tap is taken at or behind the correct mark.
For any tap, players may take the ball directly behind the mark up to a maximum of ten metres.
If a player chooses to rollball instead of a tap, the player who receives the ball is not deemed to be a half and may be touched without loss of possession.